7635papa

Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Day 11


Day 11, August 13
I got up at 1 am to catch some meteors and saw about 12 in 45 minutes.  It was partly cloudy and became cloudier.  I was in my hammock in good position to see the show.  It might seem dull watching and waiting for just a few light streaks in the sky but when can you see so many at one time?

I finished reading SimChurch.  Virtual churches with avatars for participants are already online.  That may be the future or part of it but that is not where I am or want to go.  Still, there was a lot of content relevant to any online presence and communication.  I read, or shall we say scanned, WIRED for Ministry.  That was so ten-years-old and not nearly so thought provoking or helpful as other books I have in the box of things to read.

I often tell people that, as a minister, I am paid to be good, but that they have to be good-for-nothing.  DB says none of us can claim credit and any good that we do.  “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,” Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount.  The only right relationship we can have with God is in hungering and thirsting for it.  DB points out the cost of discipleship.  Martin Luther learned to point to grace rather than have us beat ourselves over the head with our sins.  We hunger and thirst and are filled with living bread, living water.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home